Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New Life

I don't know if anyone actually reads this blog, but it's good for me to keep writing even so. And so I shall.

This past week Joy and I unleashed the news to friends and our church about her pregnancy. It's a very exciting time, but also surreal and uncharted (for us, that is). Being able to tell her dad that he was going to be a grandfather for the very first time was one of the highlights of the past month.

Another one of the highlights is that my wife signed us up for a mailing list that gives us a weekly update on how our child is developing in her womb. It's a really cool e-mail, complete with a picture -- the little guy already has eyes, fingers and toes. In one week, the e-mail tells us, the baby will double its size and weight! And he/she has a tail, which will be good for the other kids to tease them about.

Psalm 139:14 says, "I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Human life is to be respected, honored and protected because it is the work of the hand of the Creator himself. We are not random choice, an accident, a bizarre one-in-a-hundred-million-trillion chance at sentient life, we are a one-in-one chance of a God making a person out of His own image.

I remember something my brother once said when he announced the impending birth of his first kid, and I asked if he couldn't wait to become a dad. "I'm already a dad," he said, which made me pause and nod.

Yeah, I'm a dad too, now. I might not be able to see my son or daughter, but I can still care for them, provide for them, by caring and providing for their mother. I can pray for them every day, that they turn out healthy and smarter than their dad. He or she is fearfully and wonderfully made, and I can't wait to meet my child next April.

5 comments:

Jared said...

Amen to that.

We're praying for the newest Olivetti! Can't wait to meet her (somehow I can't help but think it will be a her...)

El said...

I am now a Nona of six! And I can honestly say I am as excited about this new little Olivetti as I was when Charlie was "being knit together." Can't even beging to tell you what a blessing our grandchildren are to us.

As our three sons are starting families of their own, we see them understanding for the first time a little more about the love we feel for them and, more importantly, the love our Heavenly Father has for us. It is hard to believe our Father loves our children more than we do. But He does, and that is a wonderful promise, blessing and comfort.

I also am anxious to meet our new grandbaby. She is not some accident or conglomeration of disposable tissue. She is a precious soul and she is being knit together in the image of her Heavenly Father.

And, yes, I am also thinking it is a girl. After all, after three boys of my own and several grandsons, Isabel has finally taught me how to make a semi-respectable ponytail and I need a little more practice!

Gene said...

Justin,

From one dad to another....well said.

Dad O.

MW said...

congratulations. Now..do you folks realize that Christianity is almost an exact copy of the Egyptian Horus myth?

El said...

MW:

You said that with so much conviction, as if it were absolutely unrefutable. You may wish to check out these sources for an opposing view:

Metzger, Bruce. Historical and Literary Studies: Pagan, Jewish, and Christian. Available from: http://www.frontline-apologetics.com/mystery_religions_early_christianity.htm.%3C/a Accessed January 22, 2007.

McDowell, Josh. “Is The New Testament Filled With Myths”. Chapter 14 of A Reasoned Defense. Available from: http://www.greatcom.org/resources/areadydefense/ch14/default.htm. Accessed January 22, 2007.