Monday, January 5, 2009

Daily Bread

One of the things I always want to make more time for in my life is daily time with God -- in prayer, in reading the scriptures, in writing, and in reading of other articles. Something I vaguely remembered from my childhood is leafing through little devotionals that our church always had laid out on a table called Our Daily Bread. Recently I found another copy and started using that for my early morning devotions -- I put it right on my computer desk and make sure it's the first thing I do in the morning before starting in on a day's work.

Our Daily Bread is basically a little booklet that contains three months' worth of devotionals. Each devotional has a scripture verse, a message for the day, suggested reading and a prayer -- all packed into a tiny page. From start to end, it takes me about 45 seconds to read it, then a few more minutes to think and pray about it. I've been loving it because I haven't really forced myself to do this -- it's something I want to do.

If you're interested, Our Daily Bread is a free ministry, so you can sign up to get these in the mail for no cost whatsoever (of course, they take donations to keep the ministry going for you and others, but that's between you and your conscience and budget). If you want to save a tree, you can go on their website and read it there or get it e-mailed to you: http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml

For me, having a physical copy helps me to remember to read it, because it isn't competing for my time internet surfing or writing, but exists outside of all that. Anyway, thought I'd pass that along.

1 comment:

Moxie said...

I remember these! Good idea about keeping it at work. I think I'll be ordering one...