Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Humility

Philippians 2

In my simplistic understanding of the Bible and How Things Work, I've noticed that there are a few incredibly strong, oft-repeated threads running through the scriptures and creation. If you take any time at all to read through the Bible, these threads begin to hit you across the head in a very unsubtle fashion. Today's chapter picks up on a thread I've seen in almost every book in the Bible, and can be summed up as follows:

1. Man, in a sinful state, is naturally disposed toward being self-centered, selfish and egotistic.

2. God's desire and calling for us is to become humble, and He responds to a humble heart far more than an arrogant one.

These two states are in direct conflict. We see it every day, starting in our own lives. I'm a selfish guy. I am. I know it. I put "humble Watchman" up on this blog not because I've achieved it yet, but because that's what I aspire to be. It's hard to get past myself and to put both God and others first (and second). I don't always want to give up the comfy reclining section of the couch to my wife when we watch TV. I'm not always thrilled when I'm in the middle of paperwork and someone stops by my office to gobble up an hour of time just gabbing. I find it very difficult at times to really listen to what other people are saying without trying to turn the conversation back onto me. The days I post my movie reviews up on MRFH, I'm naturally more excited than days I post the other writers' reviews.

Selfishness whispers in our ear that we want to be recognized, remembered, exalted, idolized. Humility tells us that, in exchange for a more difficult life of putting God and others first, we might never be recognized in public for our actions, that we might live our whole life out of the spotlight, all for Christ's name.

I'm not proud of any of these things, mind you. I'm just being honest. Selfishness wars against the calling God's planted inside me, and wonder of wonders humility has started to grow. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 1:3 says, pairing along with "love the Lord your God with all your heart, and love your neighbors as yourself" in terms of anti-selfish instruction.

Jesus, of course, is our very model of humility, as Philippians points out. Not just that he put us first by dying for our sins while we still hated him, but I have to imagine that Jesus felt the sinful tug of selfishness during his ministry. He knew he could've told the crowds what they wanted to hear and become enormously popular for it. He could've easily risen to the role of a warrior-king and stomped all over the world with armies at his back. He could've lived his life in isolation and nobody would have blamed him.

Yet day after day, he gave of himself out of humility. He exalted God the Father. He patiently taught and re-taught the stubborn disciples. He gave his ear and his wisdom and his power to those in need. He got down and dirty for the glorious cause of His kingdom.

My ongoing prayer for humility in my life is no less than it was a week ago. I need it. I know I need it. God's humbled me before when I've gotten a bit too arrogant, and He'll do it again, I'm sure.

No comments: